uima-user mailing list archives

From Rogan Creswick <cresw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CasEditor -- Cumbersome UI, or am I just overlooking something?
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 00:51:19 GMT
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Jörn Kottmann <kottmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Cas Editor considers the SOFA of a CAS as static, just
> like all the Analysis Engines do. You should make sure that you get
> the text you want before you annotate it.

In my opinion, there should be an exception made just to make it
easier to generate content with annotations for testing, if for no
other reason.  I very frequently need to create a new test case to
verify an annotator's performance, and that usually means generating
very specific content as well as specific annotations -- these are
just two aspects of one task: generating test / sample data.  Document
content and annotation details seem equally important to me, and they
are inherently linked, but I haven't found any tool support for
creating them together.

Some other reasons to enable document content editing in the CAS Editor:

   * The Cas Editor could track insertions / deletions of content and
shift subsequent annotations to account for these changes.  This is
extremely difficult to do correctly when hand-editing the xcas xml.
   * The Editor can wrap content to fit in a specified width and hide
the xml markup, so editing content is more natural, and more like the
process of editing a "real" document.  The xcas header / footer tags
and existing annotations are of little importance when you need a
slightly mutated document, so it would be nice if we didn't need to
worry about them when making minor (or major!) changes.
   * With a typesystem and annotators loaded, you could author a
document and have annotations generated on the fly, or periodically,
much like the eclipse automatic compilation.  I think this would be
very valuable for UIMA demos, and extremely helpful when building
annotators.
   * There are very few visual cues in the Cas  Editor to let you know
that the text is not editable.  The margins are slightly different,
but even the icon in the tab very closely resembles the icons used for
editable documents.  At a minimum, I think a border, or the editor
background, should be altered to indicate that the content is fixed.
(perhaps a light grey background, just slightly darker than white?)

> Rogan Creswick wrote:
>>
>> For what it's worth, if I run eclipse with nothing but the runtime jar
>> in the dropins folder, I don't get a lot of the views (perhaps *none*
>> of the views?) for the Cas Editor.
>>

> Sure, you need both jars, the runtime jar and the cas editor jar.
> Do you get in that case all the cas editor views ?

Ah, of course.

Doing that, I do get access to the views, but I have to manually open
them (as opposed to having them open when I switch to the Cas Editor
perspective).  Once opening the views, it seems to work  fine.

The perspective name is also displayed in angle brackets:
http://imgur.com/3Jhn8.png

> Right now the Cas Editor supports several ways of creating annotations:
> mark text + enter, creates an annotation which has the type of the current
> type mode
> mark text + shit + enter, ask the user to select a type from a list
> mark text and use the edit view to create an annotation, type depends on
> feature range feature

I've been able to get the first two approaches to work (enter &
shift-enter) but I've never seen the "+" in the Edit View (edit views?
why are there two of them?) to be enabled.

I have also been able to create an annotation of length 0, at offset 0
from the feature structure viewer, but it is just too cumbersome to
specify the offsets manually.

Thanks for all the pointers! I'm much further along than I was this morning :)

Thanks,
Rogan