uima-user mailing list archives

From Rogan Creswick <cresw...@gmail.com>
Subject CasEditor -- Cumbersome UI, or am I just overlooking something?
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:59:17 GMT
I (desprately) need an application that can make creating xcas files
easy -- the CAS Editor Eclipse plugin in the UIMA Sandbox looks like
it would do this, however, it seems to be very cumbersome to use.
I've outlined the major issues I'm having in the hopes that I'm just
overlooking something, and these have actually been resolved.  If not,
I'd like to try implementing them myself, so any suggestions would be
great :)

The problems:

I haven't been able to get the current svn version to create a CAS
project correctly (I can't find any way to add a typesystem, or
specify corpus folders via the UI). I was able to do this with an
older stand-alone RCP version of the Cas Editor, so I copied a project
from there, but that's not a long-term solution.

I have also been unable to find a way to add annotations to a
document, or create a new xcas file.  (I can create a file named
foo.xcas, in a corpus folder, but it is just a plain text file --
there doesn't seem to be a 'new xcas file' option that will populate
the file with the proper boilerplate.

Lastly, adding and tweaking annotations is very cumbersome.  I was
hoping for a ui that would let the use select regions of text, and add
an annotation on the selected area, but at best, I've only been able
to create an annotation of length 0, and offset 0, and then shift it
manually though a different view in the CAS Editor.

I've checked the open JIRA bugs here:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&pid=12310570&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&component=12312008

and nothing related to these issues seems to be outstanding.

Thanks!
Rogan