uima-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CasEditor -- Cumbersome UI, or am I just overlooking something?
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 08:53:17 GMT
Rogan Creswick wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Jörn Kottmann <kottmann@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The Cas Editor considers the SOFA of a CAS as static, just
>> like all the Analysis Engines do. You should make sure that you get
>> the text you want before you annotate it.
>>

> In my opinion, there should be an exception made just to make it
> easier to generate content with annotations for testing, if for no
> other reason.  I very frequently need to create a new test case to
> verify an annotator's performance, and that usually means generating
> very specific content as well as specific annotations -- these are
> just two aspects of one task: generating test / sample data.  Document
> content and annotation details seem equally important to me, and they
> are inherently linked, but I haven't found any tool support for
> creating them together.
>
> Some other reasons to enable document content editing in the CAS Editor:
>
>    * The Cas Editor could track insertions / deletions of content and
> shift subsequent annotations to account for these changes.  This is
> extremely difficult to do correctly when hand-editing the xcas xml.

The Cas Editor is not intend to edit the text, and I think
it is not really possible to make it in such a way that the
users knows what happens to the Annotations/Feature Structures.

We can try to speed up the process of turning a text file into a CAS
with maybe some special actions or so.
>    * The Editor can wrap content to fit in a specified width and hide
> the xml markup, so editing content is more natural, and more like the
> process of editing a "real" document.  The xcas header / footer tags
> and existing annotations are of little importance when you need a
> slightly mutated document, so it would be nice if we didn't need to
> worry about them when making minor (or major!) changes.

Not sure what you mean here.
>    * With a typesystem and annotators loaded, you could author a
> document and have annotations generated on the fly, or periodically,
> much like the eclipse automatic compilation.  I think this would be
> very valuable for UIMA demos, and extremely helpful when building
> annotators.

Yes that would be possible the result of the annotators is
run, the result is removed and it repeats all the time.
>    * There are very few visual cues in the Cas  Editor to let you know
> that the text is not editable.  The margins are slightly different,
> but even the icon in the tab very closely resembles the icons used for
> editable documents.  At a minimum, I think a border, or the editor
> background, should be altered to indicate that the content is fixed.
> (perhaps a light grey background, just slightly darker than white?)

Not sure why a different background color can tell the user that
the text he sees is not editable ?
>> Rogan Creswick wrote:
>>
>>> For what it's worth, if I run eclipse with nothing but the runtime jar
>>> in the dropins folder, I don't get a lot of the views (perhaps *none*
>>> of the views?) for the Cas Editor.
>>>

>> Sure, you need both jars, the runtime jar and the cas editor jar.
>> Do you get in that case all the cas editor views ?
>>

> Ah, of course.
>
> Doing that, I do get access to the views, but I have to manually open
> them (as opposed to having them open when I switch to the Cas Editor
> perspective).  Once opening the views, it seems to work  fine.
>
> The perspective name is also displayed in angle brackets:
> http://imgur.com/3Jhn8.png

The Cas Editor Perspective should open all the views for you,
like it looks on the screen shoot. If not I have to look into it.

>> Right now the Cas Editor supports several ways of creating annotations:
>> mark text + enter, creates an annotation which has the type of the current
>> type mode
>> mark text + shit + enter, ask the user to select a type from a list
>> mark text and use the edit view to create an annotation, type depends on
>> feature range feature
>>

> I've been able to get the first two approaches to work (enter &
> shift-enter) but I've never seen the "+" in the Edit View (edit views?
> why are there two of them?) to be enabled.
>
> I have also been able to create an annotation of length 0, at offset 0
> from the feature structure viewer, but it is just too cumbersome to
> specify the offsets manually.

Well this one is not meant for creating annotations.

Jörn