uima-user mailing list archives

From "Dan McCreary" <dan.mccre...@gmail.com>
Subject Getting UIMA to run on 64bit VISTA
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2008 04:16:22 GMT
Hi UIMA people,

Here is the change I made to get UIMA Applications to work under my
Microsoft VISTA.  It turned out to be very simple.

I found that VISTA crashed the Java VM if it did not have enough heap space
memory.  I suspect that this is due to a process not
checking to see if memory was available.

To change this all I had to do was run the following:

In the file UIMA_HOME/bin/setUimaClassPath.bat

change the following line:

from
@if "%UIMA_JVM_OPTS%"=="" set UIMA_JVM_OPTS=-Xms128M -Xmx*800M*

@if "%UIMA_JVM_OPTS%"=="" set UIMA_JVM_OPTS=-Xms128M -Xmx*1600M
*
I think that this changes the amount of heap available to *be 1.6GB* not
just* .8GM.

*We have also been trying to recompile all the sources under VISTA.  We have
changed the VM parameter in the uimaj-core pom file at:

/project/build/plugins/plugin/configuration/argLine

from Xmx*800*M to be Xmx*1600*M

Special thanks to Loren Cahlander for helping me figure this out.*

*We found this by noting that the tests did have Java heap space errors.

We are still working on trying to get all the tests to run on VISTA.

- Dan*
*

--
Dan McCreary
Senior Enterprise Data Architecture and Strategy Consulting