uima-user mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Getting UIMA to run on 64bit VISTA
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2008 06:12:58 GMT
Dan McCreary wrote:
> Hi UIMA people,
>
> Here is the change I made to get UIMA Applications to work under my
> Microsoft VISTA.  It turned out to be very simple.
>
> I found that VISTA crashed the Java VM if it did not have enough heap space
> memory.  I suspect that this is due to a process not
> checking to see if memory was available.
>
> To change this all I had to do was run the following:
>
> In the file UIMA_HOME/bin/setUimaClassPath.bat
>
> change the following line:
>
> from
> @if "%UIMA_JVM_OPTS%"=="" set UIMA_JVM_OPTS=-Xms128M -Xmx*800M*

> @if "%UIMA_JVM_OPTS%"=="" set UIMA_JVM_OPTS=-Xms128M -Xmx*1600M
> *
> I think that this changes the amount of heap available to *be 1.6GB* not
> just* .8GM.
>
> *We have also been trying to recompile all the sources under VISTA.  We have
> changed the VM parameter in the uimaj-core pom file at:
>
> /project/build/plugins/plugin/configuration/argLine
>
> from Xmx*800*M to be Xmx*1600*M
>
> Special thanks to Loren Cahlander for helping me figure this out.*
>
> *We found this by noting that the tests did have Java heap space errors.
>
> We are still working on trying to get all the tests to run on VISTA.
>
> - Dan*
> *

Yes, although you *can* assign more heap space, everything also *does*
take more heap space in 64bits.  This is because of the increased word
size, and many data structures are word-aligned.  So you end up using
more memory than you would on a 32 bit platform.

Let us know what errors you're getting, and we may be able to help.
Unfortunately, I have no 64 bit Vista available for testing.  We have
run UIMA on the MS 64 bit server platforms though, without any problems.

--Thilo