uima-user mailing list archives

From "Eddie Epstein" <eaepst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question on Capabilities of AE descriptor
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2008 23:04:36 GMT
UIMA component descriptors play several roles: one is to enable the
framework to deploy and run an analytic; another is to help describe
the functionality of the analytic. The simple version of the story is
that declaring Sofa capabilities will change how an AE is called, but
otherwise capabilities are mostly descriptive.

There are some other potential uses of capability declarations. For
distributed UIMA deployments where the CAS must be serialized from one
machine to another, the input capabilities may be used to limit the
amount of the CAS transmitted. Another use is when searching a
component repository for analytics with particular functionality.

Hope this helps,
Eddie