uima-user mailing list archives

From "Pascal Coupet" <pascal.cou...@temis.com>
Subject RE: Asynchronous UIMA (workflow) ?
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2007 13:49:13 GMT
Hi Greg,

I agree with you that human intervention may be often needed in NLP related applications.
In an editorial system by example, you may want a review and validation of categories assigned
automatically. However, I'm not sure that this should be done within an UIMA pipeline. The
UIMA framework is a middleware and is not the whole application. It looks difficult to me
to manage that if 10 docs go into a pipeline, 9 will go through at a normal pace and one will
get stuck somewhere 1 or 2 days for manual intervention. The framework is distributed and
relies on timeouts to detect errors. You will have to do something special to not fail in
error for this document and hope that the user will not forget to do the job.

If I go back to the editorial system example, it may require getting the document quickly
within the system even if some annotators did fail on it. The application can then make some
decisions depending on the missing parts (ask an editor to complete, hide the document ...)

One way to handle errors is simply to store them within the CAS. Subsequent annotators can
make decisions depending on previous errors. In your example, No entity extraction will be
make because no category is available and the annotator will log an error "unable to extract
entities..." which is different than finding no entity. The application receiving the CAS
at the end of the workflow will propose it to an editor who will select categories and then
resubmit the document to the annotation workflow to get it completed.

I think that the whole purpose of the UIMA framework is to glue together various annotation
engines and manage properly to distribution of the work across machines. One workflow can
be seen as a meta annotator which has business meaning to your company or research center.
It can be ideally reused by different applications. So I will try to avoid as much as possible
to have application specific actions directly encoded within it.

Pascal

Pascal Coupet
Chief Technology Officer & Co-founder

TEMIS INC
1518 Walnut Street, suite 1702, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
 Tel:   +1 215 732 2549 ext 112
Mob:   +1 215 609 2514
Fax:   +1 215 732 0490
www.temis.com

Strictly Personal and Confidential
This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole use of the intended
recipient. Any review or distribution by or to others is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.