uima-user mailing list archives

From "Pascal Coupet" <pascal.cou...@temis.com>
Subject RE: Asynchronous UIMA (workflow) ?
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2007 14:28:33 GMT
Hi Thomas,

I think a way to do it is to split this process across 2 workflows. The first consumer will
get the CAS, eventually store it in XML somewhere (file, database ...). A small application
will manage the interaction with the user (sending mail, reminders ...), watch a return address
mailbox, update the XCAS and make it available. The source of the second workflow will watch
for available updated XCAS and continue from there. You can in theory make the consumer of
the first workflow to send the mail and the source of the second watch for incoming emails
but it will be more difficult I think to manage properly the interaction with users (reminder
to responds, statistics, routing configuration ...).

Just some thoughts,

Pascal

________________________________

From: Thomas Francart [mailto:thomas.francart@mondeca.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 7:01 AM
To: uima-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Asynchronous UIMA (workflow) ?

Hi all -

I'm thinking about whether or not it would be possible to add an asynchronous step in a UIMA
pipeline ? For example having an analysis engine that would ask for a user input or a user
review of a CAS, or something like that. Well my point is that at some point in the pipeline,
I would like a user to review the state of the CAS, maybe add some more information, delete
some others, and so on; and then the rest of the pipeline would continue upon user validation.
(by "user" here I don't mean someone that sits in front of a computer and watch the UIMA processing
taking place, but maybe someone receiving an email saying "hey, you should have a look and
validate that").

I know this a generic workflow question, but I was just wondering if some other people had
the same question/requirements with a UIMA integration, and if you had some ideas on how it
could be adressed/solved.

Best,
Thomas

--