uima-user mailing list archives

From holmberg2066@comcast.net (g...@holmberg.name)
Subject RE: Asynchronous UIMA (workflow) ?
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:17:57 GMT
Pascal--

I was thinking essentially the same thing: serialize the CAS to a file or database, do your
human interaction (possibly including the CAS Editor), then reload it and resume processing.

It would be nice to generalize it, rather than have two explicit analysis engines.  So a nice
enhancement to UIMA would be the ability to persist not just the CAS but the state of the
engine along with it, so that it could be stopped and restarted at any point.

For my purposes, this would be useful if say, one annotator depended on finding certain data
in the CAS from another annotator, but that earlier one failed or didn't produce the right
data, and I need a user to produce the data manually.

For example, if a taxonomy classifier runs first and a named entity extractor runs second,
and the entity extractor wants to select a name catalog to use based on the classification
("if classified biology, use biology NC, else if classified chemistry use chemistry NC"),
but the classifier doesn't classify at all, or doesn't classify into the right catefgory (not
biology or chemisty), then I would want the user to classify it manually.  So I would persist
that document and engine state, notify the user, who would classify it, and then restart the
engine, which would then move on to run the entity extractor with an NC based on the user's
classification.

Not knowing in advance where in the engine the failure will occur (failure to classify being
only one possibility), I can't create two explicit engines.  Having a general mechanism to
persist the state of the engine would let me handle any failure or missing dependency.  NLP
being generally an imprecise process, I foresee human intervention in the pipeline as a not-infrequent
occurance.  So having a mechanism to deal with that in a general way would be helpful.

This is not a high priority enhancement for me at the moment, just an idea for us to kick
around.

Greg Holmberg

From: "Pascal Coupet" <pascal.coupet@temis.com>