uima-user mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Performance bug in XmiCasSerializer?
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2007 05:17:14 GMT
greg@holmberg.name wrote:
> From: "Adam Lally" <alally@alum.rpi.edu>
>> Greg,
>>
>> It doesn't look to me like you're doing anything wrong.
>>
>> I did a quick test to try to reproduce this but wasn't able to... I
>> may need more information about your set up.
>>
>> I created a CPE with the FileSystemCollectionReader,
>> PersonTitleAnnotator, and your XmiCasAnnotator.  (I filled in the part
>> about generating an identifier with something that checks the
>> SourceDocumentInformation annotations put there by the
>> FileSystemCollectionReader.)
>>
>> On a particular set of documents, with the CPE desriptor's
>> processingUnitThreadCount set to 1 I get a total elapsed time of 9.25
>> seconds, whereas with the processingUnitThreadCount set to 10 I get a
>> total elapsed time of 6.875 seconds.  (This is on a dual-core
>> machine.)
>
> With two cores with Hyperthreading on, shouldn't you get about 3X the performance?  (Or
at least 2.67X) In other words, shouldn't you get an elapsed time of about 3.5 seconds?  Doesn't
almost 7 seconds indicate a problem?

Depends what CPUs Adam has.  Intel's Core CPUs do not support hyperthreading.  What
Adam got seems like fairly standard scaling for a dual core for that sort of
multithreading, from my experience.

--Thilo