tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From "ant elder" <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graduation next steps
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:19:32 GMT
On Feb 6, 2008 10:27 AM, ant elder <ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2008 10:23 AM, ant elder <ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 31, 2008 1:41 PM, ant elder <ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to get some discussion going on what we want to do for
> > > graduating to an Apache TLP.
> > >
> > > The attempt back in November raised issues about diversity and since
> > > then it feels like we've just been waiting around hoping diversity would
> > > improve. We were unlikely then and we are almost there, would it help to
> > > have a target to aim for so we can be a bit more proactive? How about trying
> > > again at the April or May board meeting which would give us a two or three
> > > full months from now? Having a few months would give us some time to work on
> > > turning some of the contributors we already have into committers and to get
> > > other committers added to the PPMC, but a few months is also near enough to
> > > keep us focused. If we're seen to be working on this it may also encourage
> > > some of the contributors we have to be more active and so easier to make
> > > committers.
> > >
> > > There's a lot i think the project could do to encourage others to
> > > participate, here's a few things I can think of -
> > >
> > > We have a lot of downloads and real users, we need to try to get more
> > > of these people engaged and contributing, things that may help are:
> > >
> > > - better documentation, whats there is a bit sparse and our website
> > > has started to fall behind and there's quite a few extensions with no or out
> > > dated documentation
> > > - more publicity about what each new Tuscany release can do, we have
> > > lots of new stuff in 1.1 but the only place we say that is in the
> > > release notes. The Tuscany blog is a little neglected these days
> > > - post to user list as each bit of new function is completed to try to
> > > engage users and to show them their comments can make a real difference to
> > > what gets in the next release
> > > - more timely action on JIRAs, we're getting quite a back log, if
> > > we're quick to look at JIRAs it might encourage users to help debug and
> > > provide patches
> > >
> > > Once a user does start contributing I think there are things we could
> > > do better on the the dev list to make it easier and to encourage
> > > participation:
> > >
> > > - just generally improve the ML traffic which is at an all time low,
> > > if we the active developers don't discuss much then new contributors likely
> > > wont either
> > > - one reason ML traffic could be down is that discussion is going on
> > > off-list instead, is there? Is it really necessary? Lets make a real effort
> > > to keep all discussion on the dev list.
> > > - more timely replies in discussions. if someone replies to a thread
> > > often it ends up with people waiting for a follow-up reply, if that
> > > follow-up takes ages to come the discussion can stall and people loose
> > > interest and move on to something else.
> > > - we may need to provide more active help to contributors when they
> [...]

My top three are 7, 25, 26.

Most of the points look like they're in a few general categories:
- documentation
- publicity
- JIRAs
- mailing list communication
- help (users to become contributers and committers)

Maybe it help to start separate threads about each of those, i'll go start
one about JIRAs

   ...ant