tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Sebastien Delfino <jsdelf...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Graduation next steps
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2008 08:50:32 GMT
Simon Nash wrote:
> Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
[snip]
>> - route the JIRA traffic out of the dev list as suggested by Matthieu
>>
> I understand that this traffic can get a bit overwhelming at times, but
> I'd like to make the case that it does have value for new developers
> (though not for users).  One of the best ways to start down the path to
> becoming a contributor and committer is through writing or fixing JIRAs.
> Having the JIRA traffic appear on the dev list helps people to see what
> JIRAs others are writing and can encourage new contributors to jump in
> with a comment or a fix, or to write other JIRAs themselves.

I could be convinced either way :)

Some projects have a separate issues list, but it's one more list for
people to subscribe to.

Or can we configure JIRA to only send a message when a comment is added
to an issue?

>> - improve mailing list communication with shorter and clearer emails
>>
> This is a good idea, and will help improve many of our mailing list
> exchanges.  It does raise the question of what do we do when we need
> to have some in-depth discussion that might be a bit rambling with a few
> blind alleys along the way.  Can this be done effectively with scheduled
> IRC chats, as we used to have?  My recollection is that we did not
> usually discuss or resolve deep technical topics on these chats.
> What about phone calls?  (This is what my company would do in such
> cases.)  I have an account that offers worldwide toll-free access
> numbers, so cost wouldn't be an issue, but this isn't considered the
> Apache Way because of time zone issues and scheduling conflicts.
> What do people think is the best way to conduct this other kind of
> deeper discussion?

[snip]

We should use email as it's public, asynchronous and archived. We need
to try to keep them to the point, and perhaps use our Wiki to summarize
the discussions.

--
Jean-Sebastien