tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Nash <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Graduation next steps
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2008 20:06:20 GMT
Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
> Matthieu Riou wrote:
 >
 >(cut)
>
> What you've said sounds good, here's a few more suggestions.
>
> JIRAs, patches and features:
>
> - cleanup and organize JIRAs to help people find where to contribute

+1

> - apply patches from contributors more quickly

+1

> - have a roadmap with features, their status and who's working on them

+1

> Mailing lists:
>
> - route the JIRA traffic out of the dev list as suggested by Matthieu

I understand that this traffic can get a bit overwhelming at times, but
I'd like to make the case that it does have value for new developers
(though not for users).  One of the best ways to start down the path to
becoming a contributor and committer is through writing or fixing JIRAs.
Having the JIRA traffic appear on the dev list helps people to see what
JIRAs others are writing and can encourage new contributors to jump in
with a comment or a fix, or to write other JIRAs themselves.

> - improve mailing list communication with shorter and clearer emails

This is a good idea, and will help improve many of our mailing list
exchanges.  It does raise the question of what do we do when we need
to have some in-depth discussion that might be a bit rambling with a few
blind alleys along the way.  Can this be done effectively with scheduled
IRC chats, as we used to have?  My recollection is that we did not
usually discuss or resolve deep technical topics on these chats.
What about phone calls?  (This is what my company would do in such
cases.)  I have an account that offers worldwide toll-free access
numbers, so cost wouldn't be an issue, but this isn't considered the
Apache Way because of time zone issues and scheduling conflicts.
What do people think is the best way to conduct this other kind of
deeper discussion?

> - post everything that's useful to users to the user list

I think this is something we definitely need to do.  Too much discussion
of user-related topics happens on the dev list by default, and gets
mixed in with the JIRA traffic and deep technical discussions that were
mentioned in the above discussion topics.  If we could make this change,
I don't think having JIRA trraffic on the dev list would be the problem
it is today.

> Documentation:
>
> - provide better architecture and design docs

+1

> - publish more tutorials and how-to docs to help users get on board

+1

   Simon