tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Sebastien Delfino <jsdelf...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Distribution zips and what they contain, was: SCA runtimes
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2008 03:23:05 GMT
Mike Edwards wrote:
[snip]
 >> Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
>> I think we could improve our distro scheme to provide:
>> - smaller packages
>> - easier for people to find what they need
>>

> I agree with the objectives.  The second of the two is more important
> from my perspective.
>
>> I was thinking about the following binary distro zips:
>>
>> - tuscany-core.zip - The base that everybody needs.
>>   core assembly model and runtime
>>   Java APIs, Java components
>>
>> - tuscany-web.zip - For WS and Web developers
>>   WS binding, Web 2.0 bindings, Scripting components, Widget components
>>
>> - tuscany-jee.zip - For JEE app integration
>>   EJB, RMI and JMS bindings, Spring components
>>
>> - tuscany-process.zip - For process development
>>   BPEL and XQuery components
>>
>> - tuscany-all.zip - all of the above
>>

> I'm not convinced that this is a particularly useful split.  Sorry to
> disagree, but it is worth debating this before folk do a lot of work.
>
>  From the perspective of an end-user, their main goal in life is to get
> their applications working on their runtime.
>
> I view this as something like:
>
> - give me a Tuscany package (containing the Tuscany runtime materials)
> and a way of installing that with my runtime.  Then tell me how and
> where I put my application stuff so that it will run.
>
> - splitting up the Tuscany package into several packages does not seem
> to help me very much.  Now I have to go read and understand what each
> package does and what I need to do with it.
>
> - let's envisage a series of potential runtimes which I could be using:
> a) standalone Tuscany
> b) Tomcat
> c) Geronimo
> d) WebSphere
> e) a. n. other runtime
> What I think I'd really like is to be told
> 1) go get this (one) download package containing the runtime
> 2) have an install script of some kind that knows how to take content
> from the download package and put it "in the right place(s)" for it to
> be usable with my runtime (may be one script per runtime type)
>
> - the partitioning which Jean-Sebastien describes above is actually more
> appropriately done by the install script.  It will either KNOW that only
> certain pieces are appropriate for a given runtime (eg no point in
> installing JEE related stuff on a non-JEE runtime), or it will be able
> to ask some simple questions about whether I will need some of the less
> common pieces
>
> - am I asking for too much here, or is this the best approach for the
> end users?

Sorry, I'm not convinced:

- The packages I've proposed are relevant to all the runtimes you've
listed (including the JEE one).

- If I'm an application developer or a system administrator and I'm not
able to say if I'm going to use Web 2.0, JEE integration or business
processes, I won't be able to answer the install script questions either.

I find the organization of the Spring framework download page [1] clear
and useful and I was envisioning a similar download page organization
for Tuscany. Do people find it confusing and can they say why?

[1] http://www.springframework.org/download
--
Jean-Sebastien