tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From "ant elder" <antel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Size of the binary distribution
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:58:08 GMT
On Jan 24, 2008 7:42 PM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2008 8:49 AM, ant elder <ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I had a look at what makes up the size of the binary distribution,
> here's
> > some details:
> >
> > The 1.1 binary distribution is about 65 Meg, of that 50 Meg is from all
> the
> > jars in the lib directory, 8.5 Meg is from the calculator webapp
> > sample, 2.5Meg is from the mortgage loan approval demo doc, and
> > 2.5 Meg is from all the jars in the modules directory.
> >
> > In the 50 Meg lib directory there are 149 jars, but 25 Meg comes from
> just
> > the 13 biggest jars
> >
> > (These sizes are all the compressed sizes within the archive)
> >
> > All that gives quite a bit of scope for tweaking, eg if we were to:
> >
> > - remove the modules folder as they're all in the maven repository
>
> What is the side effect of removing this folder ? Would ant scripts
> continue to work ?

This is touched in the other threads as as one of the points we need to fix
- people using Tuscany shouldn't have to know about its internals so
application build scripts shouldn't be directly referencing the individual
Tuscany modules.

> > - remove the prebuilt calc webapp sample, we're talking about changing
> > use simple contributions jars anyway
> > - change the mortgage loan approval demo doc to be plain text or point
> > the website
> > - remove all but one of the bundled script language engines (ie JRuby,
> > Jython and Groovy)
> > - change wsdl2java to using its own namespace to package name code
> instead
> > of using XJC
> > - (maybe) not include the xmlbeans and xbean jars
>
> xmlBeans and xBean are BPEL/ODE dependencies

Is xbean really used by Ode, i've tried removing it and implementation-bpel
still seems to work fine? Our Axis binding was unnecessarily dragging in the
xbean dependency which i've now removed, the only place that I knew of that
we really did use xbean was with E4X when we were on an old Rhino release
but thats not needed in the newer Rhino releases.

> Adding to the list :
>
>   - remove derby dbs ( ~ 4.0 MB each ) from SVN and make the build
> create the necessary dbs.

That would be really good, its not great to have the database binaries in
our src.

   ...ant