+1 on Vary being a disaster.

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 5:26 PM Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
Hi all,

I’d like to propose that we remove these configurations (and code):

        proxy.config.http.cache.vary_default_text
        proxy.config.http.cache.vary_default_images
        proxy.config.http.cache.vary_default_other

First, I think it’s generally misguided to do this on the cache, it belongs on the origin. Secondly, Vary is a disaster, which hopefully gets addressed in the HTTP IETF WG, with Variants. Third, if you really, really want to hang yourself like this, I think you can easily do it with e.g. a header_rewrite configuration.

Thoughts?

— leif