I think as long as you allowed it in ip_allow.config properly, "BAN" method works.

I think last time the community discussed about this feature, the conclusion is that you can probably achieve similar effect with the regex_revalidate plugin - https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/admin-guide/plugins/regex_revalidate.en.html or the purge remap plugin - https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/admin-guide/plugins/remap_purge.en.html

I think you should be able to implement the mechanism you mentioned using lua. Although i am not too sure why you want to update cache.config. Since i thought the "ban" is just to invalidate the cache entry once and not indefinitely.

Thanks

kit