From James Peach <jpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Purge Question
Date Sun, 27 Sep 2015 04:19:14 GMT

> On Sep 25, 2015, at 9:59 AM, Jeremy Payne <jp557198@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Has there been any developments/advancements with respect to purge?  Specifically wildcard
purges or generic pattern matching purges.

> The cache inspector doesnt scale and the regex_revalidate plugin relies on user requests
combined with a hard set time frame.
> So with the regex_reval plugin, I may not purge all desired objects if the rule expires
prior to processing an applicable request.
> Although regex_reval is a good middle ground and works as expected.
> The genid plugin doesn't create ids on a per-directory basis.. Genid seems to only work
on per domain basis. Or per remap basis.

FWIW in 6.0 we formalized the generation ID approach so you can specify a generation ID globally,
or override it for a specific transaction.

https://trafficserver.readthedocs.org/en/latest/reference/configuration/records.config.en.html#proxy-config-http-cache-generation

You can purge on a directory if you create a remap rule for that directory. For example

	map http://example.com/ http://origin.com/ \
		@plugin=conf_remap @pparam=proxy.config.http.cache.generation=1

	map http://example.com/some/directory http://origin.com/ \
		@plugin=conf_remap @pparam=proxy.config.http.cache.generation=1

If you want to get more creative, you could use the Lua plugin to crack the generation ID
based on some arbitrary criteria.

> So I am just wondering if there have been any other approaches that have not yet been
published to the community. Or rather
> other approaches/plugins that are open source, but not referenced in ATS documentation(or
yet to be added to documentation).

> If no developments in this space, has anyone tried keeping track of URLs using something
like berkeleydb or some other key-value database?