From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Migrating from squid
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:50:41 GMT

> On Feb 27, 2015, at 12:51 AM, J David <j.david.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (Not sure if this is best for the user list or the dev list, as it's
> development, but not of ATS per se.)
>
> Squid offers a feature called url_rewrite_program that can be used to
> change its behavior based on client IP, requested URL, and various
> other criteria.  It runs a bunch of copies of an external program and
> passes information to and from them over pipes.
>
> Overall, ATS is a much better fit for our environment, but we are
> heavily dependent on this feature of Squid.
>
> The short version of what we need to do is this:
>
> Based on a (ClientIP,RequestURL) pair, either choose a backend (by
> name or IP) to handle the request *or* issue an arbitrary redirect
> *or* return an HTTP error.
>
> According to the "squid config translation" docs, the equivalent for
> url_rewrite_program is remap.config.  Since that does not actually
> support external programs, it appears the intent is to use the
> built-in remapping abilities to replicate the functionality of the
> external program.  However, that is not always possible.
>
> The messy part that prevents us from doing that or hacking up a module
> is that the external program we use with squid is ridiculously
> complicated, pulling together information from multiple sources, all
> of them dynamic, and gets linked to all kinds of libraries like MySQL,
> memcached, and distributed message passing stuff.
>
> What is the best way to migrate this functionality to ATS?  The whole
> big ball of wax seems like a really poor candidate for a built-in ATS
> module due to all the external dependencies, many of which run
> asynchronously and can block.  It seems really advantageous to seal
> that off So what we probably really need is a pretty efficient way to
> emulate squid's ability to call out to an external program.

Dealing with external squid helpers is a bit wonky, but you probably could implement something
in a plugin that does it. The fact that you are doing so much weirdness (MySql, Memcached)
makes it particularly tough, I’m not sure how Squid deals with that?

Dealing with synchronous APIs such as MySQL is tricky to say the least.

I’m not sure we have a good answer here, other than you probably need to try to implement
this as a plugin. Alternatively, I know some people have looked at ICAP (http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3507.txt),
but I don’t know if that helps you at all either. And, we still don’t have that in our
code, so whoever has ICAP implemented, please open source it :-).

— Leif