From Bruce Lysik <bly...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: http byte range requests get cached and served from cache?
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 19:54:36 GMT
> Hi guys,
>>
>> Can someone tell me the current state of ATS and http byte range requests?
>>
>> I have a system (libtorrent http seeding) that we put ATS in front of.  Files are
retrieved via 512k byte range requests for each large file.  I would expect that after fully
receiving a file, subsequent downloads via this mechanism would be cached.  I'm not seeing
that in practice.
>> I found this bug: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-475
>
>Yeah, that's the "performance" issue.
>>
>> But I can't tell what the means to serving byte range requests right now.
>
>Well, if all you see are Range: requests, and nothing ever fetches the full object, it
never gets cached :/. Until we fix TS-475 though, I don't think anyone has cared about this
problem, but there is at least one bug filled about this (to trigger a background fill of
the full object on a Range: request, assuming of course the object is cacheable)

Okay, so if I /do/ pull down the full object, the byte range requests will be served from
cache?  I'm going to test that now.

Thanks!