From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: High idle cpu utilization on RHEL6
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 15:34:56 GMT
On 10/13/2011 02:00 AM, Brian Geffon wrote:
> Hi Igor,
>
> No I am not using SELinux, any other ideas on what might be causing
> this, it seems very strange. I suppose it should be worth noting this
> is an 8 core machine, could the thread auto scaling just be allocating
> more resources to cover the idle threads?

So, what percentage of the CPU is this using? Does it matter? If you
need to recover some of it, yes, you can turn down the number of worker
threads. I see the same behaviour on older kernels as well, but not on
modern ones. On my old kernel, with a couple of ATS threads, on idle it
uses 1.5% of the CPUs, which is completely negligible. Now, if you
expect load on the box, I wouldn't turn down the number of threads,
because if you do, you will not be able to use all 8 CPUs.

As been pointed out already, once the system takes some real load, this
is a non-issue.

-- leif