From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Traffic Server Home Proxy
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2011 17:10:30 GMT
On 02/03/2011 02:07 PM, Michael Petit wrote:
> I am considering Traffic Server for a home proxy to reduce Internet
> bandwidth and filter out specific Internet sites.
>
> My home environment: (yes, I live in the boonies)
>
>     * VMWare cluster running to add a Linux instance for Traffic
>       Server - 192.168.0.3
>     * Cisco Catalyst 2900XL switch connecting all nodes - 192.169.0.2
>       (default gateway 192.168.0.1)
>     * Internet connection is via a Cradlepoint wireless EVDO router
>       with an EDVO connection to the Internet (only thing that
>       connects to this devise is the 2900XL) - 192.168.0.1
>     * 20 wired nodes throughout my house all home running to 2900XL
>     * 10+ wireless devises that connect to the Cradlepoint wireless
>       EVDO router
>     * Cradlepoint EVDO router running DHCP
>
> Objectives:
>
>    *
>

>     * Reduce Internet traffic to keep household under the 5GB per
>       month limit
>     * Multi-User Proxy
>     * Multi-user shared cache - avoid downloading the same thing on
>       all nodes
>     * Contect filtering and URL blacklist
>     * Usage monitoring
>     * Removal of advertisements on web pages
>

> It appears that Traffic Server will work, although it is not really
> intended to be used in this method. I do not want to use a forward
> proxy and have to set all devices to use the proxy.
>
> How do I setup a Transparency for all Internet traffic to go though
> the Traffic Server with my setup?

There's some information available at
http://people.apache.org/~amc/tiphares/home.html .

Fwiw, some of your objectives / requirements would require you to code
ATS plugins. For example, content filtering and URL blacklisting is not
supported out of the box, and same with ad removals. I don't know if
Squid has such features available, but that might also be an option to
look into.

Cheers,

-- Leif