tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Rauch <a...@labkey.com>
Subject Re: Re: Response change between 8.5.x and 8.0.x (and earlier versions) W.R.T. Line separator CRLF vs. LF
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2017 16:12:53 GMT
On 10/16/2017 1:27 PM, Net Dawg wrote:
>   Profuse apologies.  We are unable reproduce this.  However out tests were failing
for another reason.
> 8.5.23 returns 400 error with header "HTTP/1.1 400" where as version 8.0.47 returns the
same as "HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request".  When the tests check for the legacy header they were
failing.  As soon as we stopped checking for "Bad Request" our tests work.      On Monday,
October 16, 2017, 8:19:33 AM GMT-10, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:

>   On 16/10/17 18:48, Net Dawg wrote:
>> We are finding line separator has changed on Mac OS X in tomcat 8.5.23 response relative
to all previous versions of tomcat we tested (8.0.47, 7.0.72 and 7.0.82).  We see nothing
in change log to understand this change.
>> Specifically, 8.5.23 is generating CRLF in response (showing up as ^M in vim), while
previous versions of tomcat are just producing LF.  As a result all of our tests based on
earlier versions of tomcat are failing.
>> Is this a bug, in which case we will wait for fix (and lets tests fail due to known
issue in tomcat) or is this how tomcat will always generate response going forward - in which
case we will make our tests more lenient to be backward compatible somehow.
> Context please. Line separator where exactly?
>
> Mark

As for the removal of response messages in 8.5.x, this appears to be an
intentional change. From the 8.5.0 section of the change log,
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/changelog.html#Tomcat_8.5.0_(markt)

"RFC 7230 states that clients should ignore reason phrases in HTTP/1.1
response messages. Since the reason phrase is optional, Tomcat no longer
sends it. As a result the system property
org.apache.coyote.USE_CUSTOM_STATUS_MSG_IN_HEADER is no longer used and
has been removed. (markt)"

Adam