tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Trouble setting TOMCAT_USER
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2016 20:27:56 GMT
Jorge,
1) don't top-post

On 29.08.2016 21:50, Jorge Alfonso wrote:
> In order to setup the users for Tomcat you have to edit the file
>
> tomcat-users.xml
>
> <tomcat-users>
>   <role rolename="admin-gui"/>
>    <role rolename="manager-gui"/>
>    <role rolename="role1"/>
>    <user username="Myadmin" password="s3cret" roles="admin-gui,
> manager-gui"/>
>    <user username="both" password="s3cret" roles=admin-script"/>
>    <user username="role1" password="change" roles="role1"/>
> </tomcat-users>
>
> Once the users are set, and you could have set several users depending your
> need, shutdown and startup again your Tomcat and you would be able to see it
> running for your user and managing it.

2) this has nothing to do with the user under which Tomcat is running.

Rebecca,

You do not say so, but from the above it is a valid guess that you are running tomcat
under some flavor of Linux, and that you installed it from the package provided by that
Linux distribution.

Unfortunately, without more information, it is difficult to know how you are really
starting tomcat, and what influence that "TOMCAT_USER" line really has in the big scheme
of things.

Try to be more explicit and provide some details, such as which Linux, what command you
use to start/restart tomcat, what version of Tomcat that is, etc..
We don't have a crystal ball here, so we don't know those things.