tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat8: WARNING: Problem with directory [/usr/share/tomcat8/common
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2016 15:52:15 GMT
On 15.08.2016 17:12, Wayne Li wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed tomcat8 on Ubuntu 16 using
>     sudo apt install tomcat8
> I only need one tomcat, no need for CATALINA_BASE.
>
> But, I got warnings below. Can I ignore these warnings? Or anything I can
> do?
> Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>

> Aug 07, 2016 8:01:32 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory
> validateFile
> WARNING: Problem with directory [/usr/share/tomcat8/common/classes],
> exists: [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]

Hi.
I am personally a fan of the Debian/Ubuntu and other packages, as they immensely simplify

the sysadmin part of my life.

But for this kind of problem, there is little that anyone on this list can do, because the

people who so "package" Tomcat to distribute it, are not the same ones who develop Tomcat

and provide a "standard Tomcat download" on the website at
tomcat.apache.org.

So basically here, we have no idea what this package really does, or how/where it
distributes the various components of Tomcat.  You need to get in touch with the
Debian/Ubuntu people for that.
These packages typically "distribute" Tomcat over a series of directories (/usr/share,
/var/lib, /etc/tomcat etc..), which are very clever but at times quite difficult to
follow. So here we have no idea what *should* be [/usr/share/tomcat8/common/classes] under

Ubuntu for example, and why it is obviously not there.

All we can tell you here, is that you can download a working tomcat version 8 from
http://tomcat.apache.org, and follow the provided instructions to install it.
And if you have a similar problem with that one, then someone here should be able to help

you better.