tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Neven Cvetkovic <neven.cvetko...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcats warning message about APR library
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2015 10:41:48 GMT
Hey Emir,

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 2:18 PM, Emir Ibrahimbegovic <eibrahim.usa@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've got this message when starting a tomcat server :
>
> org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent The APR
> based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in
> production environments was
>  not found on the java.library.path:
>
> /usr/java/packages/lib/amd64:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/jni:/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/usr/lib/jni:/lib:/usr/lib

It's exactly what the message says - the APR shared libraries are not found
on the java.library.path.

> Even though I've installed the apr along with some other stuff like this :
>
> sudo apt-get install zlib1g-dev build-essential libapr1 libapr1-dev
> libssl-dev libreadline-dev -y

You have two choices:

1) Find a specific package that includes the required packages, e.g.
apt-get install libapr1 libapr1-dev
apt-get install libtcnative-1

(I have not tested these, you need to look through the packages and find
out exactly which one you need)

2) Compile your own native APR library, as the page suggested:
http://tomcat.apache.org/native-doc/

Usually, I just compile my own on Linux (*nix, OSX), and for Windows
customers - I just use the distribution with the shared DLLs.

I prefer this way, as I deal with various Linux flavours (RHEL, CentOS,
Ubuntu) and they all have their own packages. It takes time (longer than I
want to wait) for the vendor to make these Tomcat packages. You can get
your own Tomcat installed and upgraded the very same day a new Tomcat
release is out.

Also, Tomcat team makes it very convenient for Windows users with the
Windows binaries included, and recompiling on Windows requires extra effort
setting up the tools.

> This is where I found the info that I need to install it:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/native-doc/
>
> What am I missing here? I'm using tomcat 8 btw.

How did you install tomcat8? Did you use apt-get package or did you
download the standard ZIP/TAR package from Tomcat's page?

Good luck!

PS. I will try locating the actual package and test it on my Ubuntu VM.