tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@gopivotal.com>
Subject Re: Downgrade Tomcat7 to Tomcat6
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2013 14:25:11 GMT
On Aug 7, 2013, at 9:53 PM, Sumilang Plucena <sumilangplucena@yahoo.com.ph> wrote:

> I have a development server Ubuntu12.10 and Tomcat-7.0.30.

Are you installing from the Ubuntu repository or from the tomcat.apache.org download?

If you're installing from an Ubuntu repository, I'd suggest that you don't.  The versions
there are always way behind and install files into distro specific locations (which makes
it harder for us, the tomcat mailing list, to support).

Installation from the zip / tar.gz on tomcat.apache.org is quite simple and give you more
control over the version you install (i.e. you can get all the latest security fixes) and
where you install the files.  In fact, when you use this method you can even install multiple
versions on the same machine at the same time, which makes upgrades a bit easier.

> But prior to upgrading Tomcat7 from Tomcat-6.0.29 we never had problem with our website.

You're going from one major version of Tomcat to another, which means you could see some differences
with your applications.  Please checkout the migration guide for more information about what
has changed.

   https://tomcat.apache.org/migration-7.html

> I would like to know how I can go about downgrading Tomcat7 without affecting applications
hosted by tomcat7.

I'd suggest just fixing the issue that you are seeing with Tomcat 7 (feel free to post another
thread asking for help with that), but if you *really* want to downgrade I suppose it should
be possible.  First, how did you upgrade from Tomcat 6 to Tomcat 7?  What steps did you take?

Dan