tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New behavior of Oracle Java 1.7.0_25: AWT thread and console icon
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2013 07:32:20 GMT
On 24/06/2013 05:31, David Rees wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Christopher Schultz
> <chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
>> I just upgraded to 1.7.0_25 on my Mac and I noticed that when I launch
>> Tomcat, I get a dock icon indicating that it is running. This does not
>> happen on 1.7.0_21, the previous version I was running.
>>
>> For some reason, 1.7.0_25 triggers something launching the AWT thread
>> (on my Mac, that's called AWT-AppKit) which causes the dock icon to be
>> shown.
>
> I noticed something similar on Linux - Tomcat stopped working on
> machines without all the appropriate X-libs in place. I'll have to try
> adding -Djava.awt.headless=true to the startup parameters...

I had a nasty feeling when I read this that I have just confirmed.

The AWT thread is triggered by Tomcat's memory leak prevention code. I
haven't tracked down exactly what is triggering this yet. I should have
the answer to that later today.

It is probably about time the various memory leaks were reported to
Oracle. Based on past experience of reporting JRE bugs, I have very
little faith the bugs will be accepted let alone fixed (which I why I
haven't bothered so far) but it looks like now is the time to report them.

Mark