tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kyle Bahr <kb...@rogue-engr.com>
Subject Tomcat 5.5, getting exception while creating database driver instance
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 22:30:27 GMT
Hello all,

I'm running Tomcat 5.5 on a linux (CentOS) box and attempting to
implement a  set of web services (.jws).  I'm getting an exception
thrown when trying to instantiate a mysql database driver using the line
of code:
Class.forName("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver").newInstance();

I am using the mysql connector mysql-connector-java-3.1.8-bin-g.jar and
it is in the CATALINA_HOME/common/lib directory with full permissions.

I've done untold amounts of google searches and putting the jar in the
right place solved 90%+ of peoples' problems, but those that still had
the issue didn't get replies (this was on various message boards).

Has anyone else encountered this and what was the solution?  If any
other information is necessary please let me know.  I don't know what
all is pertinent and I didn't want to just fill this question with junk
to be sifted through.

Thanks,
--Kyle