tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Best practices for switching back/forth between java 1.5/1.6
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 20:22:06 GMT
> From: Andre-John Mas [mailto:ajmas@sympatico.ca]
> Subject: Re: Best practices for switching back/forth between java
> 1.5/1.6
>
> If this is simply for development purposes, then I would recommend
> having two installations of Tomcat. One is configured to use JDK 1.5
> and the other JDK 1.6. Specify the JAVA_HOME in catalina.sh. There are
> other solutions, but from experience this is the simplest approach.

I have to recommend the opposite - use just one Tomcat version, and definitely do NOT modify
catalina.sh (ever).  Just set JAVA_HOME to point to the appropriate JDK when you want to switch.
 (If you do want to set any permanent environment variables, do that in setenv.sh, which Tomcat
calls automatically at startup if it exists.)

 - Chuck