tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Deploying .war-file in Tomcat 5.5
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2009 13:59:02 GMT
> From: Kai Behncke [mailto:Kai-Behncke@gmx.de]
> Subject: Re: Deploying .war-file in Tomcat 5.5
>
> it`s unpacked without any problems. But if I call then
> http://www.mysite.de:8180/my_servlet  I don`t see anything in the
> browser??

You need to include the name of your webapp in the URL; the webapp name is the name of your
.war file.

> But if I copy the unpacked-sources from
> /var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/my_servlet
> to /usr/share/tomcat5.5-webapps/ROOT/ I get a result by doing
> http://www.mysite.de:8180/my_servlet

That's because you just made your webapp an extension of Tomcat's default webapp - probably
not a good thing to do.  If you want your webapp to be the default, delete Tomcat's default
(/usr/share/tomcat5.5-webapps/ROOT), rename your .war file to ROOT.war, and place it in /usr/share/tomcat5.5-webapps/ROOT.
 You will also want to clean out Tomcat's work directory; I have no idea where the dismal
Debian repackaging of Tomcat would have put that.

> And what is the difference between tomcat 5.5 and tomcat5.5-webapps?

The Debian repackaging of Tomcat is a mess - files are scattered all over, and then symlinked
back together to try to get things to run.  There's no end of issues with that scheme, which
is why many of us recommend throwing away that junk and installing a real Tomcat from tomcat.apache.org.

 - Chuck