tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Use JMX to manage applications
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2007 04:04:16 GMT
Hi Again LightBulb,

In this good article
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-08-2005/jw-0801-jmx.html
You will find an example JMX client, in SRC for talking directly to Tomcats
JMXProxy

One thing I dont see in the JMX interface, maybe it is there, is a way to
start stop webapp through JMX.

Just want to say, this thread made me have a good look at JMX in Tomcat, an
area I never bothered with before.... well done!... although I think making
JMX clients is too much hassle, looking at Tomcat through a professional JMX
client like JConsole is pure magic.
You know if there was just a screen shot of Tomcat in the JConsole on the
site, I think it would make people (like me) immediately see what a magic
facility this is.

The other thought I had was that I think if TC scrapped the logging tools it
has now, in favour of an XML format, and a standard viewer, or any other
format one wanted if they set up a bit of XSL, I think logs would look damn
good in JConsole as well, would be easy to server through JMX, or just in a
web page.
The current  scheme seems to make them to hard to get at, which is actually
a bit weird considering the things are sitting in a web server.... IMHO

Have fun