tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Gresh <dgr...@lle.rochester.edu>
Subject Re: Installing Tomcat 6.0.9 on Sun Solaris
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 16:22:06 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Daniel Gresh [mailto:dgresh@lle.rochester.edu]
>> Subject: Re: Installing Tomcat 6.0.9 on Sun Solaris
>>
>> When I try to setup a $CATALINA_BASE by moving the
>> aforementioned directories to $HOME/dtomcat, I get
>> the error I posted in my original message.
>>

> The real question is:  why are you trying to do this?  Unless you intend
> to run multiple instances of Tomcat simultaneously, the exercise is
> pointless.
>
>  - Chuck

Thanks for the replies guys.

I believe you're right Chuck. When I think about it, there is no need
for a CATALINA_BASE. The reason I wanted to set one is because the
previous two installations of Tomcat (4.0.5 and 5.5.9) both had one, so
I figured it might be there for ease of use, security purposes, or
something of the sort. However, I am the only one who will be using
Tomcat 6.0.9, so there really is no point to it.

Anyway, I believe all my questions are now cleared up (unless of course
I need to set up a CATALINA_BASE and have questions about the
information from the server logs). I have Tomcat 6.0.9 running properly,
and it can compile my JDK1.5 code and everything!

Thanks for the help,
Dan