tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Can't find classes in jar files in WEB-INF
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:16:00 GMT
No.... just got busy with work.  Given what you provided in your last
post, it seems to come down to permissions or something overlooked.

Are you running the security manager?
Have you checked file permissions?
Did you restart tomcat (or at least restart the webapp) after building
the .jar file and placing it in WEB-INF/lib?
Are there any messages in the logs when your webapp starts that might
indicate a problem?

--David

aladdin wrote:
> Have we given up here?  Do I need to have the packages in separate jars?
>
> On Monday 19 February 2007 08:02, David Smith wrote:
>
>> You don't need to tell tomcat to look in WEB-INF/lib/*.jar.  Tomcat does
>> that automatically per spec.  I'm guessing there is something wrong with
>> the way your jar was created or a permissions problem.
>>
>> Try testing the jar with
>>
>> $JAVA_HOME/bin/jar tf whatever.jar
>> (linux/maxos syntax)
>> or
>> %JAVA_HOME\bin\jar tf whatever.jar
>> (windows syntax)
>>
>> to be sure it's valid.  The command above lists all the files in the jar
>> file.  Then be sure permissions are set so the user tomcat runs as can
>> read it.  One last thing to look for is any errors further up in the
>> logs above the class not found exception.
>>
>> --David
>>
>> aladdin wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the tip!
>>>
>>> I don't think I'd have a conflict with all the classes in my application.
>>> Although some of my classes have common names, like user.java (compiled,
>>> of course, to user.class), they are all member of just one of three
>>> packages: infoisland, dbMgr, and utils, so I don't think the names are
>>> colliding. Loading the app bombs out as tomcat is loading when it can't
>>> find my filter, CheckUser (makes sure users are logged in), which is in
>>> the infoIsland package.
>>>
>>> However, your comment is telling: "WEB-INF itself is not checked or
>>> scanned for .jar files at all."  So, if I make sure the WEB-INF/classes
>>> subdirectory is empty, how do I tell tomcat to go get classes out of the
>>> WEB-INF/lib/whatever.jar file?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

 It