tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Harry Mantheakis <ha...@mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject Re: replacing ROOT
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:02:30 GMT
> This reminds me that we've been having a lot of issues with Tomcat
> caching (refusing to recompile) changed JSP files.  Not sure if there's
> a bug on it, but it stinks having to restart the whole container
> sometimes, just for a small JSP change.   This problem seems to have
> gotten worse if anything in Tomcat 5.0.x.

See the documentation for the 'reloadable' Context attribute:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html

Reloading is switched off by default, because it's not a feature you want to
use with production servers.

The documentation also mentions that you can - as an alternative - use the
Manager web application to conveniently trigger reloads 'on demand'.

HTH

Harry Mantheakis
London, UK