tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Graba, Jan" <J.Gr...@shu.ac.uk>
Subject Change in JSP error handling in Tomcat5.0??
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:11:33 GMT
Hi.

While testing a JSP error page that was working fine 9 months ago, I found that the page is
not now performing its function.
Instead of displaying an appropriate error message when the associated JSP receives alphabetic
data instead of the integer data
that it is expecting, an HTTP 500 message saying that the data manipulation JSP cannot be
displayed is generated by the browser.

The simple application behaves fine when valid data is entered, and the JSP error page itself
can be rendered directly (if a
suitable check is made for the implicit object 'exception' being equal to null).

Here is the (very ordinary) error page declaration line in the data manipulation JSP:
<%@ page errorPage="AdderError.jsp" %>

Here is the (equally ordinary) associated line in the JSP error page:
<%@ page isErrorPage="true" %>

The only changes that have taken place since I last tested these pages are the replacement
of Java SDK1.4.2 with SDK1.5.0/5.0 and
the replacement of Tomcat 4.1 with Tomcat 5.0.

It seems highly unlikely that the change of SDK could have led to this problem, but I suppose
that there may be some change to
Tomcat (or, more likely, version 2.4 of the servlet API) that has passed me by.

Can anybody shed light on the cause of this change in behaviour?

Cheers.
Jan