tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Paul <p...@mnwebhost.net>
Subject Re: Address localhost:8080 already in use
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2005 01:54:53 GMT
I ran into this issue a while ago when I wrote a cronjob to check that
tomcat is outputting something expected and if not, stopping &
re-starting the service.  However, since my tomcat checking script (the
cronjob) was running every minute, I did run into some occasions where
the startup script would be called twice before tomcat was fully up and
responding to requests.  Probably the same thing you're reporting.

If you only run one instance of tomcat, then you should be ok simply
doing a "killall java".  However, if you are running multiple instances
of tomcat, then you only want to kill the suspected instance of tomcat
and not all of them.  If you're running all instances from the same
install dir, then look for something unique in "ps -ef" or you can
adjust your CATALINA_OPTS in catalina.sh so that you can tell which
instance is which when you run "ps -ef" then only kill those processes.
If you're running them from different install directories, then just
grep the output of "ps -ef" see the ones running from that path.  A
simple shell script can automate that for you.

Regards,

-Paul