tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Brian J. Sayatovic" <t...@trinition.org>
Subject Re: How does Tomcat interact with filesystem file permissions
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:21:25 GMT
Well, I can create a special "Tomcat Service" account, and then be
careful what groups I add it to, and make sure the Tomcat directory is
accessible to it.  I'll also find the How To for running Tomcat as an NT
service again to see if they address this.  And this isn't a
corporation, this is just for my own personal use (though that's still
not an excuse not to secure my own box!)

Regarding Tagish JAAS, this is the home page:

    http://free.tagish.net/jaas/index.jsp

It's a bit out of support.  I found it through Chris Maeda's article on
TheServerSide.com:

    http://www.theserverside.com/blogs/printfriendly.tss?id=ServletApp

On Chris Maeda's Blog, there were plenty of feedback comments.

    http://www.cmaeda.com/index.php?p=22

A lot of folks couldn't get it to work with Tomcat outside of form-based
authentication.  I wanted to use normal authentication where the browser
just prompts you and was havign Tomcat's JVM die without a record of the
cause!  Eventually with some debug tracing and looking at source code, I
determined that the Win32 API call being used didn't like null (which
are the default credentials returned by Tomcat's JAAS module when there
is no authenticated user).  So, I modified the Tagish JAAS source code
to simply through an authentication-related exception when null was sent
to it.

So, now, Tagish JAAS is using XP for authentication!

Regards,
Brian.