tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nikola Milutinovic <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: JavaMail API ?
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2005 06:06:23 GMT
Frank W. Zammetti wrote:

> I wouldn't have expected to see them in Tomcat frankly... Although
> sending eMails from a webapp is relatively common, it's not common
> enough to be included with an app server (well, except for Websphere,
> which generally includes everything under the sun!)
>
> I am kind of surprised it hasn't been incorporated into JDK1.5 though,
> that would have been a reasonable expectation.  Is it perhaps rolled
> into J2EE instead?  I don't know.  Same for JAF.

Most of you responded that JavaMail and JAF are a part of J2EE, while
Tomcat provides only a subset of J2EE. I agree with that.

The reason for my post was the fact that:

1. TC 4.1 has JavaMail support, just as TC 5.0 (at least in JPackage
version)
2. TC docs for all versions list a JavaMail over JNDI example

Rolling JavaMail support into TC 5.5.7 wasa breeze, but you should warn
people of this. Or I wasn't paying enough attention to docs (which could
also be the case).

Nix.