tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Drew Jorgenson <develo...@omniplatform.com>
Subject Re: Wild Card Hosting
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:27:13 GMT
That set-up would only work for specific subdomains, what George is
trying to accomplish I think is point any (wild card) subdomain to a
specific virtual host without the use of static IPs for each virtual
host.

Although George, if you only need this done for a few virtual hosts and
you have a few static IPs available, use them if you can.

This is what I do:

1. Set this in my DNS:

mydomain.com 		IN A 1.2.3.4
www.mydomain.com    IN A 1.2.3.4
* 			 	 IN A 1.2.3.4

2. Assign the static IP as an alias in my virtual host

<Host name="www.mydomain.com" ....
	<Alias>mydomain.com</Alias>
	<Alias>1.2.3.4</Alias>

I hope this helps solve your problem somewhat.

Drew.