tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Volkm@r" <plsdontre...@arcor.de>
Subject Re: Running Tomcat from jsvc
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:38:44 GMT
Wolfgang Hackl wrote:
> Hi Volkmar,
>
> did you check the file system permissions of your $CATALINA_HOME
> directory? As I can see from my installations, server.xml has read and
> write permissions exclusively for its owner. My conclusion is that the
> directory must belong to the user, will run the service (wwwrun says
> your Tomcat5.sh).

Hi Wolfgang,
I got everything in /opt/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28 owned by root:root.
So you mean, I should change all files in the conf subdirectory to be
owned by wwwrun? Or is it better/safer to just make those files world
readable/writeable and leaving them owned by root:root?

When, during installation of Tomcat should I have changed the ownership
or permissions of which files? I've installed Tomcat using
   cd /opt
   sudo tar xzf /tmp/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28.tar.gz
so that I got everything owned by root:root.

--
Volkmar W. Pogatzki