tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: Tomcat vs JServ
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2001 19:27:07 GMT
On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Joe Laffey wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Tim O'Neil wrote:
>
> > JServ is dead code. Don't use it. Tomcat is that same code's
> > successor.
>
> I hardly think that code being dead should put it into a "Don't use
> it" category. JServ is stable as hell and that means a lot. Sure, it
> only support JSDK 2.0, but you can do a lot with that. Most of my
> clients still use Jdk 1.1.x, and these are Fortune 500 companies!
[ ... ]

OK, I think we've beaten this horse enough :-).

Sure, if you've got something up and running with JServ, and it's
working fine, and you're not planning any major work on it, there's no
reason to upgrade (and I don't think anyone was saying otherwise,
certainly not me :-).

But if you're just getting started with Servlets/JSP, and you're
trying to decide between JServ and Tomcat, I'd say the choice is
clear, and you go with the up-to-date, active technology of Tomcat.
I'd even say that if you have something currently running with JServ,
if you plan to do more than the tiniest amount of work on it, then
you'd be better off switching over to Tomcat.  Things that are
multiple versions of the spec behind, and are using
technology/implementations that are not being actively worked on, can
be a problem to maintain.  And maintenance is often more important
than performance.  (And even if Tomcat lags behind JServ in
performance currently, that will change.)

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Software/Systems Development Group
Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
mepstein@uiuc.edu