tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: Tomcat vs JServ
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:22:13 GMT
On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Simone Pensa wrote:

> Hi,
> the main difference is that Tomcat implements Servlet version 2.2
> and higher, while JServ refers to Servlet specification version 2.0.
[ ... ]

And that's a *big* difference.  Further, there is no more active
development on JServ, while there is with Tomcat (it is the servlet
reference implementation, after all).  So Tomcat will keep up with new
versions of the spec (2.3 is almost ready to go, and Tomcat 4.0 is
tracking it; Tomcat 3.X implements the 2.2 spec), while JServ is stuck
on 2.0.

>From those considerations alone it seems to me that Tomcat should be
the way to go.  Especially for anyone starting out with servlets.  The
2.2 spec introduced some relatively significant changes from earlier
versions of the spec.

> > Eric Mosley wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to evaluate whether to use Tomcat or JServ. The system
> > will be freeBSD and I know that Tomcat has some "issues" with that
> > - but I'm willing to take the chance.
> >
> > However, if speed and memory are issues which would be best for
> > basic servlet functionality?
> >
> > Surely it would be JServ as it has been in bug fixing mode for so
> > long it will have matured and is quite fast anyway?
> >
> > Any insights appreciated,

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Software/Systems Development Group
Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
mepstein@uiuc.edu