tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Randy Layman <randy.lay...@aswethink.com>
Subject RE: Servlet Placement and URLs to Run...
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:31:18 GMT

	Ok, lets try a few other things:
	1.  Does /run/servlet/com.(fill in fully qualified class
here).Phonebook work?  If not, double check your class file is in the
correct place and that the package statement in the file matches the
structure here.  One thing that I've found sometime helps is to compile to a
directory (javac -d), jar that directory and then use that JAR or un-jar
into the WEB-INF/classes directory.  This makes sure that the directories
have the correct structure.

	2.  Do you get any messages in the console when starting Tomcat
about unable to load servlet?  If so, what are they?

	3.  Have you restarted Tomcat since editing web.xml? (I know its
obvious, but it really should be working by the time you get to this point)

	4.  Have you verified that the servlet tag is in the correct place
in the web.xml file?  (My usage suggests that Tomcat doesn't complain for
out-of-order elements, just ignores them.)

	The good way to do servlet mapping is to put it into the web.xml
file like you have attempted to do.  The old way is what I suggested above
(using the /servlet/classname).

	If the above doesn't work, could you send me your entire web.xml
file so that I can look it over?

	Randy