tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject RE: Is ajp12 a necessity..if so why
Date Sun, 18 Mar 2001 15:43:44 GMT
On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Andy wrote:

> Although I wouldn't normally answer this kind of question as the
> answer is well documented, I can see where one only using tomcat
> would not feel compelled to read the mod_jk or mod_jserv
> documentation.
>
> You can remove the ajp12 connector.. however...tomcat will no longer
> shutdown correctly.  Meaning you won't be able to type "tomcat.sh
> stop" (or the windows equiv.).  You could still kill it but it would
> nearly preclude using any kind of script.  Anyhow, it doesn't take

Well, you could still do it from a script -- by getting the pid
(either from having saved it when tomcat started or by grepping the ps
output).  But I agree that that's probably not the best way to go.

> up much in the way of resouces just sitting there...leave it in.  If
> you're worried about secuity block the port to outside traffic.
>
> -Andy
>

> -----------------------------------
> I understand that ajp12 is a connector between Tomcat
> and a web server. So, if I only have Tomcat, then I
> would expect that I do not need to define it. However,
> I saw in docs that it is needed for Tomcat shutdown.
>
> So, bottom-line, is ajp12 needed for a stand alone
> Tomcat? If so, why?

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Software/Systems Development Group
Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
mepstein@uiuc.edu