tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Slemp, Douglas, J (Doug)" <sl...@att.com>
Subject RE: AW: Sessions not working right
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:00:19 GMT
Is this 2.2 of the servlet api?

If so, where did you get it?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Cheesman [mailto:jchees@msl.es]
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 10:00 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: AW: Sessions not working right

At 04:46 PM 3/27/2001, you wrote:
>I'm unfamilir with the method setAttribute for HttpSession(something new?)
>
>I myself have no problem with session state, as long as I use the
>getValue/putValue methods as defined in the HttpSession class.  I then
store
>any data I need to the session through a putValue..

As of version 2.2 - just checked - get/putValue have been deprecated. No
idea why.

>I typically build an include.jsp page and have this page ensure (through a
>casted getValue) that the data is there..if not..build the object and bind
>it to the session...I then have this include.jsp as an include directive as
>the very first item called on each jsp page thereafter..
>
>You should be able to maintain distinctive session state if you build your
>code properly.

The problem I have is that the same client will be making repeated
requests, which may or may not be in the same session - and rather than
play around with cookies etc. I felt that implementing my own class to do
the dirty work would be easier.

As usual, YMMV ;)

Jim

--