tomcat-users mailing list archives

From dmk...@earthlink.net (David M. Karr)
Subject Re: apache/tomcat321: serving html & port 80 vs. 8080
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2001 00:53:54 GMT

    David> I believe I've finally advanced past the "lurker" stage to perhaps
    David> the "newbie" stage.

    David> I have a win2k system at the end of a DSL line, and I just want to
    David> set up apache, tomcat, et al. for experimentation.  I gave the
    David> computer a name, and I'm using that for my "server name".  I've
    David> installed Apache, and I can run it as a service.  I have Tomcat
    David> 3.2.1 installed, and I think I might have Apache and Tomcat working
    David> together, but I have a feeling there is something missing.

    David> I'm seeing an issue I believe I've seen other people hit, which is
    David> that the URL I type in in the browser has to hardcode the port of
    David> "8080".  When I do that, I can get to the servlet and jsp examples.
    David> When I don't specify a port (like "http://mycomputer", I get the
    David> Apache "Seeing this instead of the website you expected?" message.

    David> When I type in "http://mycomputer/examples", I get a directory
    David> listing of the "examples" directory.  When I enter
    David> "http://mycomputer/examples/jsp", I get the actual JSP samples page,
    David> and I can execute the jsp examples.

    David> When I enter "http://mycomputer:8080", I get the nice "Powered by
    David> Tomcat" page, with the two links to the servlet examples and jsp
    David> examples (and others).

    David> I noticed that the DocumentRoot in httpd.conf is still pointing at
    David> the Apache directory, but I'm trying to serve things out of another
    David> directory.  In fact, I set up a tree separate from Tomcat that I
    David> want to serve things out of.  I successfully pointed tomcat to that
    David> other place.  Do I have to change the http.conf DocumentRoot to
    David> point to the other place, and if so, what exactly do I set it to?

I also noticed that entering "http://mycomputer/ROOT/index.html" goes to the
default tomcat start page, but it still seems like I should be able to enter
"http://mycomputer" and get the start page (instead of the webapps directory
listing).

The location I'm trying to store my apps is "c:/tomcatApps" (with "bin",
"conf", "logs", "webapps", and "work" subdirs).  I changed the Apache
DocumentRoot and "<Directory>" to point to "c:/tomcatApps".  I also changed the
"DirectoryIndex" to allow both "index.html" and "index.jsp".

I still don't understand why I need to enter "http://mycomputer:8080" to get to
the default start page, as opposed to "http://mycomputer".

I'd appreciate any help or information.

David M. Karr          ; Best Consulting
dmkarr@earthlink.net   ; Java/Unix/XML/C++/X ; BrainBench CJ12P (#12004)