tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andy <acoli...@nc.rr.com>
Subject RE: Is ajp12 a necessity..if so why
Date Sun, 18 Mar 2001 08:52:17 GMT
Although I wouldn't normally answer this kind of question
as the answer is well documented,  I can see where one
only using tomcat would not feel compelled to read the
mod_jk or mod_jserv documentation.

You can remove the ajp12 connector.. however...tomcat
will no longer shutdown correctly.  Meaning you won't
be able to type  "tomcat.sh stop" (or the windows equiv.).
You could still kill it but it would nearly preclude using any
kind of script.  Anyhow, it doesn't take up much in the way
of resouces just sitting there...leave it in.  If you're worried
about secuity block the port to outside traffic.

-Andy

I understand that ajp12 is a connector between Tomcat
and a web server. So, if I only have Tomcat, then I
would expect that I do not need to define it. However,
I saw in docs that it is needed for Tomcat shutdown.

So, bottom-line, is ajp12 needed for a stand alone
Tomcat? If so, why?