tomcat-users mailing list archives

From shaun hogan <shaun_ho...@yahoo.com>
Subject why wont tomcat execute jsps properly for me?
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2001 13:27:29 GMT
sorry if this message gets sent more than once, im not
sure if i sent it properly the first time, anyways...

hi folks,
im a newbie to tomcat and jsp's but hopefully one of
ye can help me with my problem,
when i startup tomcat and go to the jsp examples link
(http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/) none of the jsp
examples (like numguess.jsp) will execute for me and i
get this error

"There is a problem with the page you are trying to
reach and it cannot be displayed"

now i bought "teach yourself jsps in 24 hours" and it
tells me that the reason for this problem is that my
JAVA_HOME in the tomcat.bat file is not pointing to
the root of my correct jdk installation.

now, i have jdk1.2.2 installed and the root is
d:\jdk1.2.2, and it works ok otherwise, i can javac in
dos properly.
and the root of my tomcat is c:\tomcat

i think the problem is either with my tomcat.bat or
autoexec.bat file but i dont know how to correct the
problem, could someone please take a look at these
files for me (i have copied them in below) and tell me
how they are wrong.
i would be very grateful

c:\autoexec.bat
@echo off
REM [Header]

REM [CD-ROM Drive]

REM [Display]

REM [Sound, MIDI, or Video Capture Card]
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS

REM [Mouse]

REM [Java Stuff]
SET CLASSPATH=d:\jdk1.2.2
SET JAVA_HOME=d:\jdk1.2.2

REM [Miscellaneous]
SET PATH=d:\jdk1.2.2\bin;d:\IMNNQ_95;%PATH%
SET IMNINSTSRV=d:\IMNNQ_95
SET TOMCAT_HOME=c:\tomcat

SET IMNINSTSRV=d:\IMNNQ_95
SET PATH=%PATH%;d:\IMNNQ_95

C:\tomcat\bin\tomcat.bat
@echo off
rem A batch file to start/stop tomcat server.

rem This batch file written and tested under Windows
NT
rem Improvements to this file are welcome

rem Guess TOMCAT_HOME if it is not present

if not "%TOMCAT_HOME%" == "" goto gothome

SET TOMCAT_HOME=.
if exist %TOMCAT_HOME%\bin\tomcat.bat goto gothome

SET TOMCAT_HOME=..
if exist %TOMCAT_HOME%\bin\tomcat.bat goto gothome

SET TOMCAT_HOME=
echo Unable to determine the value of TOMCAT_HOME.
goto eof

:gothome

rem Set up the CLASSPATH that we need

set cp=%CLASSPATH%

set CLASSPATH=.
set CLASSPATH=%TOMCAT_HOME%\classes
set
CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\webserver.jar
set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\jasper.jar
set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\xml.jar
set
CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\servlet.jar
SET JAVA_HOME=d:\jdk1.2.2

if "%cp%" == "" goto next

rem else
set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%cp%

:next
if "%1" == "start" goto startServer
if "%1" == "stop" goto stopServer
if "%1" == "run" goto runServer
if "%1" == "env" goto setupEnv
if "%1" == "ant" goto runAnt
if "%1" == "jspc" goto runJspc

echo Usage:
echo tomcat (start^|run^|env^|stop)
echo         start - start tomcat in a separate window
echo         run   - start tomcat in the current
window
echo         env   - setup the environment for tomcat
echo         stop  - stop tomcat
echo         ant   - run ant with tomcat context
echo         jspc  - run jsp pre compiler
goto cleanup

:startServer
echo Starting tomcat in new window
echo Using classpath: %CLASSPATH%
start java %TOMCAT_OPTS% -Dtomcat.home="%TOMCAT_HOME%"
org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8
%9
goto cleanup

:runServer
rem Start the Tomcat Server
echo Using classpath: %CLASSPATH%
java %TOMCAT_OPTS% -Dtomcat.home="%TOMCAT_HOME%"
org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8
%9
goto cleanup

:stopServer
rem Stop the Tomcat Server
echo Using classpath: %CLASSPATH%
java %TOMCAT_OPTS% -Dtomcat.home="%TOMCAT_HOME%"
org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat -stop %2 %3 %4 %5 %6
%7 %8 %9
goto cleanup
goto cleanup

:runAnt
rem Run ant
set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\ant.jar
echo Using classpath: %CLASSPATH%
java %ANT_OPTS% -Dant.home="%TOMCAT_HOME%"
-Dtomcat.home="%TOMCAT_HOME%"
org.apache.tools.ant.Main %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
goto cleanup

:runJspc
rem Run ant
echo Using classpath: %CLASSPATH%
java %JSPC_OPTS% -Dtomcat.home="%TOMCAT_HOME%"
org.apache.jasper.JspC %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
goto cleanup

:setupEnv
set cp=%CLASSPATH%

:cleanup