From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xalan usage in taglibs
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2017 15:31:12 GMT
> On Nov 27, 2017, at 12:07 AM, Matthew Broadhead <matthew.broadhead@nbmlaw.co.uk>
wrote:

> In TomEE 7.0.3 everything is fine at startup.  But if a webapp is reloaded I get
> java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.xml.dtm.ref.DTMManagerDefault cannot be cast
to org.apache.xml.dtm.DTMManager
> and the whole container needs to be restarted which is not ideal during production
>
> Now in TomEE 7.0.4 I cannot even start without this error so I cannot upgrade.
>
> It seems like a classloader issue but taglibs is the only hardcoded dependency on xalan

Are you including the taglibs jars in your war when deploying to TomEE? You shouldn’t need
to do that as TomEE should be providing its own implementation of JSTL which would mean there
is a chance of conflict if you also include them.

From a thread <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomee-users/201707.mbox/%3CCAJMhK2JCM3d1qjq4pkRsiJ6burVH-yQ=O5Dc2-NO0jMcQcHuiA@mail.gmail.com%3E>
on tomee-users, it sounds like TomEE could be trying include taglibs and avoid including the
Xalan dependency but I wouldn’t expect that to work as it actually is needed by the XML
tags. The dependency is “provided” scope to avoid automatic transitive inclusion for applications
that don’t use the XML tags (which is most). For container integration it should be included
as an application might use those tags.